Author Topic: Activities After Distal Bicep Surgery  (Read 513 times)

Offline swatt

• Newbie Plus
Activities After Distal Bicep Surgery
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
I am new to this forum. I had a  complete rupture of my left distal bicep tendon that was repaired 9/10/13. The first week I had a splint and sling then they cyborg brace ever since.

My next appointment is 10/22 to hopefully get cleared to remove the brace.  I have full ROM and nearly entire extension. There is no pain other than nerve burns in my forearm.  My grip is good and can lift a gallon of milk which I probably should not be doing. 

I would like to start playing golf as soon as possible and hopefully by 11/1/13.  Any advice?
  • Hospital: Anne Arundel Medical Center
  • Repair Method: cortical button fixation
  • Surgeon: Lashgari
  • Surgery Date: 9/10/13

Offline bob

• Newbie Plus
Re: Activities After Distal Bicep Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 08:03:33 AM »
i'd make sure you get it approved by the doctor who did your surgery, especially for something as dynamic as swinging a golf club.

i'm almost 4 weeks out, have full pronation, supination and ROM back and am cleared for use for all daily tasks (no picking up anything more than 1kg) so as a competitive athlete am itching to start strengthening the damn thing but there's no way i'm going to risk going back to square one by trying to shave off a couple of weeks from the approved time.

• Hospital: Mater Hospital Sydney
  • Repair Method: Endobuttton w/ interference screw
  • Surgeon: Mathew Sherlock
  • Surgery Date: 17/9/13

Offline MarkJF

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:54 AM »
I'd echo what Bob said, what's the rush? I'd want to wait another month, at least. I was very conservative, 6 months before I started to "use" the arm but then I had a linear, problem free recovery, and, once I did start using the arm, full strength quickly returned.

• Repair Method: Suture Anchor
  • Surgeon: Dr Wattens (BRI)
  • Surgery Date: 30-08-11

Offline swatt

• Newbie Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
Thanks Mark and Bob,
I have a trip to Myrtle Beach SC already paid for Nov 6-10.  I agree I do not want to go back to square one either or hurt it being stupid.  I have gently swung a club granted it is not the same as contacting the ball but I feel pretty good. My 6 week follow up is next week and I will listen to what the dr has to say.

I have read lots and lots of posts on recovery, its all over the place.  I have pretty good muscle base lifted weights for nearly 10 years but recently stopped because of back problems and not the bicep. I do not know if being in pretty good health helps the healing along.

Offline MarkJF

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »
I don't suppose there is definite right time with all the variables but I asked my surgeon when would the "fix" become permanent, good as new. He said "6 months".

BTW I first read your dates in the UK format, not US format, big difference! There is no way I would play golf in that timescale, forget it.
  • Repair Method: Suture Anchor
  • Surgeon: Dr Wattens (BRI)
  • Surgery Date: 30-08-11

Offline Ramsker

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
Personally, I would absolutely not try to play golf that fast after repair . . . not even with the endobutton.  Even though that is probably the strongest for initial repair strength, that just seems way too fast to try and get back to that activity.  Generally what you hear from a surgeon is "don't do anything stupid for the next 6 months" after the brace/cast comes off.  Give yourself time to heal and just enjoy the vacation as much as possible without the golf.  Easier said than done . . . but that's the advice I would give.

I'm kind of surprised you feel that spry to even consider it at this point.  I have lifted and done martial arts for years . . . and with mine I wouldn't have felt ready to go back to that kind of activity that fast after surgery.  It's great to hear you are apparently doing extremely well--I would just say to take great caution and don't overdo it.  Take the time to heal up from the get-go and chalk it up to just one of those crummy challenges life sometimes presents. 

Just my 2 cents.
  • Hospital: Midtown Surgery Center (Downtown Denver)
  • Repair Method: Single Incision - Mitek Super Anchor (2)
  • Surgeon: Dr. Raj Bazaz
  • Surgery Date: Feb. 19, 2013

Offline Bob77

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:41:04 AM »
I agree with everyone who said to check with your doctor first (of course).

My input would be it is too soon. I had my surgery about 10 days before you did, and have had an excellent recovery.

I used to play golf, so I dusted off the clubs and swung the driver and a long iron in the backyard this weekend. Even with the shoulder work I have been doing, I can't imagine it would be very fun to play at less than 100% of what I could do if the arm was healed and fully rehabed. You will not only be risking the repair, but you could injure your shoulder if you are overcompensating for the arm. I doubt you will be ready to take a full powered swing by next month.

The other thing I was thinking about while swinging is, what if you don't take a divot, and the club abruptly digs into the turf? Will the arm be able to take that kind of shock. Even if you hit the ball clean, I think you are going to feel the vibration at the site of the injury every time you hit the ball.

Let us know what the doctor says.

• Hospital: Miriam Hospital
  • Repair Method: Endo; Single incision
  • Surgeon: Dr Shalvoy
  • Surgery Date: 8/30/13 and 5/4/08

Offline toyman

• Newbie Plus
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:12 AM »
I had my surgery July 2012.  My doc was pretty conservative and golf was off the table for the 2012 fall season.  She did release me for hunting, but was still concerned about falling/catching myself.  (Crazy enough, it did happen during deer season, but all was fine)  Anyway, I wasn't released for golf until 9 months (spring 2013), and it was pretty concerning hitting that first chunk on a hard public course.  My repaired arm was sore after the first few rounds. 
  • Hospital: PA
  • Repair Method: Button
  • Surgeon: Erdos
  • Surgery Date: 7/6/12

Offline swatt

• Newbie Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
Thanks to everyone your comments are the smart / wise / intelligent direction.  I go back to my doc tomorrow for what my limitations and his advise are.  My mind says no way but my competitive nature says there is no way I wont play.  At 49 it's the only competitive thing I got left my softball days were over in 2005.

I will post the news after tomorrow.